Saturday, April 05, 2008

RAMSEY SWING BRIDGE, RED DAWN


Early morning photo, but a late post. That's what happens when you live on an island, when something goes wrong it's the whole island that suffers, like inernet severs. The Ramsey Swing Bridge, although small is great for photographers as it filters sunlight, casting long shadows,sun flares and is a great silhouette, especially against the red tinged sun today.

Ramsey is the third largest town on the Isle of Man and the largest in the North. It's Manx name is Rhumsaa, an old Norse word Meaning" garlic river." English is the main language spoken by the residents of the island, but the Manx written and spoken word is making a comeback. Adrian Cain is the Manx Language Development Officer responsible for promoting the language from a dying one to one that is very much alive, so much so that you can even take a qualification in it.Very useful for visitors reading those road signs!


4 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

Hi babooshka, wonderful photo. And I like the informational post, as well.

Pat said...

What a wonderful photo! I have fond memories of my time in Douglas. I sailed there from Belfast for a CE trip many years ago.

Pat

Guelph Daily Photo,

href="http://patzpics.blogspot.com/">My Photos
.

Chrissy said...

Nice photo :o)

Anonymous said...

Could you show us a picture of the Manx language signs sometime? I'm curious as to how close Manx is (or isn't) to Gaelic.

Lovely shot. I thought I'd seen pictures of this bridge, but actually I think I'm having a blonde moment and it's the Laxey (?) Wheel I'm thinking of.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin