Monday, April 14, 2008

LAXEY HEAD

Laxey is a small, picturesque village located on the east side of the Island. It takes it's name from the Norse word for Salmon river 'laxa', due to the tales of great catches. Today Laxey is mainly a residential and tourist area, though in the past it was a thriving mining and fishing village. It's also where the Lady Isabella, Laxey Wheel, the Laxey Blues Festival and photographers wandering aimlessly looking for a suitable subject to snap can be found.

Above is Laxey Head, part of Laxey Bay. It may be a small bay, but it's perfectly formed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that's a lovely picture! The light is just right, with the headland in shadow and the light playing on the sea and highighting those atmospheric clouds! I'd quite happily just wander round aimlessly looking for things to snap, it looks like the kind of place where even amateurs like me could get a passable shot! :)

laxeylass said...

THANK YOU FOR THIS PHOTOGRAPH.Where can I buy this? Do you have any more of Laxey? Can I use the email address?I miss my home town, so thankyou.I really want a print copy

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane(Babooshka you funny girl)

I still prefer your other blog.It's the caustic wit that does it for me.Truly amazing image. St Andrews loss and Isle of Man's gain. Should you ever travel St Andrews way again, be sure to bring your magic camera.

All the best.

Jacqui xx

Anonymous said...

You take very pretty sky and water shots.

raf said...

Your Isle of Man looks, sounds like my kind of place. Your photography is great. Nice work over there!

Jim Klenke said...

Very pretty, I love the tones.

Southern Heart said...

This is just beautiful! You really are such a gifted photographer, and it's a delight to visit your blog.

You are the purple-lover, aren't you? :) I just saw your other blog, which is also lovely. If you would like to use the wysteria photo there, please feel free.

WichitaKsDailyPhoto said...

Lovely photo of the calm and glimmering bay waters.

mrsnesbitt said...

A lovely calming scene.

Anonymous said...

It's a very nice part of the island,
quiet and peaceful. Magical photo.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin