Saturday, April 26, 2008

RAMSEY SWING BRIDGE

INot quite Sydney Harbour bridge, The Forth Bridge or San Fransico's Golden Gate Bridge is Ramsey's very own Swing Bridge. It's also as close to a cityscape as I can find on the Island. Don't forget we have no skyscrappers, and a much smaller population that run away when I point the camera in their direction.

Built in 1892 by the Cleveland Enginneering Company at a cost of £2o,325(what would that be in todays terms?) primarily to transport people to the other side of the harbour, to the newly built housing that had emerged around this time.

The bridge is still the main access route across the harbour. At certain times of the day the bridge is closed to cars and pedestrians when it is swung out to allow tall mast boats through. It was also featured in another British Film called The Martins, Staring Lee Evans and Kathy Burke. It's also going to feature heavily in this blog as I never get bored of photographing it.

17 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

Looks like a neat bridge and I like the shadows.

Southern Heart said...

Lovely photo, and such a neat angle. I am just amazed at your talent every time I visit!

laxeylass said...

The angle and the shadows make that bridge look twice the size it really is. You are a very good photographer.

Steve Buser said...

I love the crisscross of the shadows.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,

So different to yesterday. The shadows have created quite a complex pattern. Excellent result again.

Jacqui

Carletta said...

Thanks for visiting me.
This is a wonderful photo! I like the lines and the shadows in it and that you show it in black and white.

isa said...

Lol! Could you post a photo of the "running away population?" ;-)

Marcel L said...

I love bridges and this is a cool photo of what must be a cool bridge!

Louis la Vache said...

Interesting photo and history! It made Louis think of some of the lesser-known bridges across la Seine à Paris!

Ken said...

Nice photo, our bridges cross over small streams and really aren't considered bridges at all.

Btw in my opinion you could post a photo of a sunset like that every day!

Clueless in Boston said...

Great bridge photo. I would hazard a guess that 20K in 1892 would have to be a couple of million in today's money, maybe even more.

Stephen said...

Clueless is as close as makes no difference. £1,869,900 to be pretty precise.

Nice pic, Boo. If only they'd left the major ironwork red.

mrsnesbitt said...

Hey that company is here! My hubby worked there as an apprentice many years ago!

Stephen said...

So, am I seriously colour-blind, or have they had their paint-brushes out? It was lovely red lead paint a few weeks ago.

Or maybe someone's been a little naughty with Photoshop? Still a nice pic though.

Stephen said...

No, I'm just crazy, it's monochrome of course. It's the sky that does it, my brain still reads that as blue; weird.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Hi Stephen,

It's still red. photoshop is really only useful as a cropping tool to me. If you notice I shoot both colour and black and white images. Had to be B&W this one to show off the criss cross shadows. Still think a black and white shot beats a colour shot for some subjects.

smilnsigh said...

I think I've only seen one of these. Very interesting concept. But not fun to still want to get across, when it's time for car traffic to stop. ,-)

Mari-Nanci
Photos-City-Mine
Smilnsigh

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin