Wednesday, April 09, 2008

ABC, L IS FOR LIGHTHOUSE

Laxey, lifeboats, Lonan. Have to admit I was spoilt for choice today with the letter L, but it was so misty this morning I just had to shoot this, the Lighthouse on the Jetty in Ramsey before the mist disappeared from the hills. We actually have 2 lighthouses just to be greedy.

In the background you can see Albert Mount leaving Ramsey. It's just off the mountain road and a trek though a wooded glen, but the view up there of the whole town is fantastic. On top of the Mount is a tower called Albert Tower, named and After Prince Albert and Queen Victoria who paid a visit to the town in 1847.This is why Ramsey is often known as "Royal Ramsey.".

The island is full of lighhouses, very individual to each part of the area. This one even has a little weather vane on top, dates back to 1854.Like i said they are all slightly quirky, like the island.

Want to play along see http://mrsnesbittsplace.blogspot.com/ mrs nesbitt's bits for full details

22 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

A lovely evocative photo.
A one time regular visitor to the Isle of Man, I remember seeing many lighthouses.

You have some fine shots, must come back & go through them more carefully.

laxeylass said...

You couldn't see the mountains today for the mist and fog. Really pretty photograph.

Anonymous said...

A very evocative photo with amazing and fine silhouette and contrasts.
Very good.

Anonymous said...

Great photo. I love touring lighthouses.

Anonymous said...

If I had to choose an interesting photo, your photo today would be the one I selected. I find it just fascinating.

Please, whatever you do, don't visit my blog today (Wednesday) as I lost my mind, I think owing to medicine from my hospital stay, and posted some really gross stuff.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio

Jane Hards Photography said...

Oldmanlincoln, you do make me laugh.That you for the lovely comment, for once I am speechless. You've made my day.

Rune Eide said...

All lighthouses are pieces of history - there are special societies just for that.

FO - 2 said...

Very nice photo with an with a easy ambience. :)

Andrea said...

You lighthouse picture is beautiful. I love lighthouses.

Unknown said...

Great photo!

Anne-Berit said...

Good choice for the letter L:o)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so atmospheric! Beautiful picture :)

JAMJARSUPERSTAR said...

Your photos are still of a really high quality - don't you have an exhibition or something there so you can share your work? (If you do, that's great!)
Ciao, keep posting love!

Scarlet

Anonymous said...

Could you send me your sales site link again please J.

Usual email address please.Check your emails more frequently.

Thanx

Anonymous said...

The lighthouse photo is just beautiful. So I'm also curious about babooshka. This is what I called my russian grandmothers and what my kids call my mother...

Katney said...

The lighthouse photos I've seen today have been very different from each other. They remind me, though, of the small lighthouses we passed cruising to Alaska, and of others I have see closer up. We visited a lighthouse museum and saw the old light crystal--it is huge.

raf said...

Love your blog, Babooshka. I shall return.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I'm a lighthouse lover too - never heard of one with a weather-vane on top before.

mrsnesbitt said...

WOW! You're here...great stuff! I will add you to the blogroll!
Hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Dxxx

Southern Heart said...

Amazing photography...your blog is a delight to visit!

sam said...

oooh I LOVE lighthouses, please consider doing a series on all the ones you mention on the island, I'd love to see them! the lighting and monotones make this an exceptional pic!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin