Saturday, November 22, 2008

WE WANT A CINEMA IN RAMSEY.... NOW!

What do you think this controversial building is?

Looking at this image I realised it would have been a suitable Ramsey skywatch shot, but that's the one below. What though is this building. Long time followers of this blog will have had glimpses and an early construction shot of the this building. It is the new swimming pool. Yes I did say new, which indicates that the present one will soon be considered the old swimming pool. Ramsey though only has room (population I should say) for one swimming pool, the new kid on the block has won, but what of the old one? Now this is where the controversy starts!


You have to cross the now famous(I jest!) Ramsey Swing Bridge to access the new swimming pool, which isn't to everyone's taste. The old swimming pool is conveniently placed next to St Pauls, basically the shops and flats as is accessible to all. Only room for one swimming pool, so what will happen to the old building? Are that is the big question at the moment in Ramsey. Now most residents have the perfect solution. Something that we have been crying out for now for ages. Something we haven't got. Something that is relevant to all the community. Something that would be used 7 days a week. We would like a CINEMA!


Ramsey is the second major town on the island, the largest in the North. It's known as Royal Ramsey, or the Jewel of the North. It's sprawling population is roughly 8000( figures vary of course) and when you ask most of them it's a cinema that is the number one item they request we have, including me and everyone I know. Not just in Ramsey, but the smaller villages that are dotted around the North of the island would like this too.

What we don't want is another supermarket. We need the ones we have to be better stocked and run more efficiently. We have a Post Office, Gymnasium, Police Station, shops, pubs, cafes, bars, restaurants, library, hotels, parks, art gallery, churches, schools, skateboard park, football ground, rugby pitch nightclub... you get the point. See what is lacking from the list for the size of the population... a cinema! A community centre has been muted, but that is a proposal for another closed building. New housing we need, but is being built elsewhere. One proposal is a bowling alley. Nice idea, it has it's supporters but it is secondary to peoples preference for a cinema. The bowling alley is being touted as a place for younger people( since when do older people not go bowling?) which neglects the rest of the community. Even the youngsters are asking for a cinema first. A cinema is a great leveller. It's not age discriminatory. Besides that the Isle of Man has a thriving film industry, due to tax breaks and of course stunning location. Surely the people of Ramsey deserve to go to a local cinema to see the films that feature Ramsey and occasionally it's residents as extras?


I thought long and hard before I posted this today. As my blog is the official Ramsey Daily Photo blog, and it's voice is read and heard by many who feel their wants and needs are overlooked I decided to throw my blog behind their voice of Ramsey residents, which I am one and throw my hat into the ring and ask.... CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A CINEMA NOW.


Ooh that feels better. If you live in Ramsey drop by and have your say. If you don't you may have ideas and thoughts of your own of what a unwanted swimming pool could be used for? As for me I will be going to Douglas- one hour on the bus- then a twenty minute walk- to watch a Quantum of Solace, at the cinema - another twenty minute walk and catch the bus back to Ramsey - another one hour, and considerably out of pocket and time. As they say you do the maths. Come on Isle of Man, let Ramsey have this on thing for all residents. Think how it would help the economy, employment, entertainment and film industry. I rest Ramsey Residents case.


A note to UK readers, By the Daily Star on Sunday, or take a peek. Gary( pen name BARKER) has done the celebrity cartoon this week. Lindsay Lohan watch out.

Love your thoughts on the cinema question.

31 comments:

Belgrade Daily Photo said...

I do hope you get your cinema!

Anonymous said...

I am 15. I want a cinema. My mom won't let me go to Dougals at night time. My mom said I can go in Ramsey.
I like your blog. Its funny. I want to be a photographer. Do you take class.

Anonymous said...

LB, 102 Commnents on post below!
Can relate to your words. I work construction. We throw up unwanted buildings, pull down good ones. I hear ya. No cinema sucks big time. You go girl! You take it to city hall.

Hilda said...

I don't think my vote will count, but yes, let Ramsey have a cinema now!

That's way too far and the trip too long just to watch a film.

Love the shape of your new swimming pool!

Layrayski said...

I hope you get your cinema Babooshka! My, that would take a lot of time and gasoline just to watch a movie.

Gaelyn said...

I like the curve of the new pool. Sure hope Ramsey gets a cinema.

magiceye said...

beautiful lines

Webradio said...

Yes : I want a cinema for Ramsey...
But I'm french and not a "Man of Man"...

raf said...

Yes, yes you shoulda, woulda, coulda must have a cinema!
Were do I sign?!?!

Rune Eide said...

I'm sure it is a good idea. My only suggestion would be purely selfish - I wanted to go to the Isle of Man by ferry in the summer of 2006. I tried to book in May for a trip in July. Nothing doing. All full up - both ferries and housing. So maybe something for the tourists could be included?

PeterParis said...

I come here on recommendation of Virignia and some other blogger friends. We met in Paris this week. I have now checked some of your posts ... and will be back!

I hope that you can get your cinema. Maybe it would be possible to have a place where you can combine cinema certain days or hours of the day, give concerts, maybe a theatre play... It may be difficult to get public to several cinema sessions per day all days of the week. In Paris, we have a number of the small theatres which combine all kinds of activities.

NYD said...

I say stock the pool with fish and make a indoor fishing pond. We have 'em here in Japan. Thell even cook what you catch!

Anonymous said...

I love the new swimming pool design and can't wait until it opens up next month. As for the old pool I'd go along with you about the idea of a cinema but it wouldn't surprise me if our pleas fell on deaf ears. Whatever happened to the plans of a cinema facing Albert Road school on the plot of land where Beryls Bus used to be?

Anonymous said...

Don't hold your breath Babs, this is the Isle of Man, if the papers are saying they want a bowling alley in Ramsey, but everyone else wants a cinema you know the bungs have been paid and the fix is in for the bowling.

Dragonstar said...

Surely Ramsey's big enough to support a cinema? Our nearest is nearly an hour away, so I wait for things to come out on DVD!

Gordon said...

I hope you get your cinema; your reasoning is convincing to me. Good luck.

Unknown said...

I like the 'wave' roof, a good idea for a swimming pool.

Kathleen McQueen Wright said...

We could also use a cinema for we have to travel 50 to the nearest one.

Dont forget to look at my blog today! There is an award waiting for you!

Gattina said...

For the moment I don't need swimming pools, I have the red sea, lol !

Jim Klenke said...

A cinema can also be an educational tool. When I was in school we used to go to the movie theatre and watch movies. They were usually historical movies or something with a postive message. If designed right it could be used for meetings, award shows a real mutil-purpose building.

angela said...

I can't believe you haven't got a cinema. If I had a vote I'd vote yes but in the end I bet you get a supermarket. It'll generate more money.

Juneau Alaska Photos said...

Give Ramsey a CINEMA, Give Ramsey a CINEMA, Give Ramsey a CINEMA!

Neva said...

I can not imagine you have no cinema....wow...I certainly hope this post helps those who get to decide that one will happen in your community......a very good post.....

DAB said...

Ramsey should have a cinema! Good for the locals abd tourists alike. Good luck TFx

Eki said...

First of all, I like the architecture of the building. THe flow of the roof is fascinating. THen, I'm amused at the story you told about the movie theatre the Ramseans want ... I'd never thought that a city of Ramsey size did not have a movie theatre ... I hope that will change soon. :)

crittoria said...

I hope you get your cinema!! This is such an intriguing new building...

Gerald (SK14) said...

What gets me about your post today is the statement that the cinema in Douglas is a 20 minute walk from the bus!

Wow - I just became your 400th follower!

Joan Elizabeth said...

After waiting for many years we got a cinema in one of biggest towns. It has a wave roof just like your photo. However (this is something that might affect Ramsey too) the cinema found it was not viable because it only had one screen and could not show enough of the recent releases. People still travelled down to the city to see the latest movies. They are now expanding to 3 screens so hopefully will make enough money to stay open. Another smaller cinema further up the mountains shows more "arty" films and does well, but people go elsewhere if they want to see the latest James Bond.

Unknown said...

Beeston where I live, has neither a swimming pool or a cinema. There are available some distance away, so it means either going by car, bus or a long walk.

I bet the video rental shops do well though!

Becky said...

What we need in the Walla Walla Valley is not a cinema (we have a small one), but more shopping. We had a mall that was at one point this summer mostly closed down to renovate, tear down, and reconstruct. Work was halted in the middle when the powers that be (so I'm told) refused to pay the workers due to the economic crisis. So the workers, unwilling to work for free (understandably so) walked away. They haven't been back. So our "mall" with 3 shops stands inaccessible except from one entry point on the far side, and and inconveniently ugly on a major thoroughfare through town. Every town has its issues, I guess. Good luck with your cinema.

Anonymous said...

I live in Ramsey,New Jersey, USA. I came across this article thinking it was a criticism of the tiny 2 screen Cinema we have here in the middle of town. I'm sorry your Ramsey in the UK doesn't have one but know there IS a cinema in Ramsey in the USA.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/Bea-Anita/RamseyNow.jpg

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin