Thursday, November 20, 2008

REFLECTING ON A BRIDGE THEME


11/100

Could it be? No not Ramsey Swing Bridge again. It's been a while but the challenge was to take 100 shots of the same subject, but snapped in a different way/angle/time of day etc. About time we had another then. Come in No 11 your time is up! To be honest I had several emails asking what had happened to the bridge so I am posting the image due to public demand and also as requested a long shot. Ooh you are a fussy lot.


Small isn't it? I don't think this is something that has actually been conveyed in the partial bridge shots, just how small the bridge actually is. It is afterall just a short hop skip and a jump to the other side of the harbour, but it beats walking all the way round to get to the other side on a wet blustery day. Can you see how high the tide is too? The rippled reflection was due to a swan diving (no not a heavy metal fan, the bird kind) just out of shot. Liked the mottled pattern the ripples made cutting through the reflection. They don't all have to be glass like reflections do they?


What else can I tell you. The weather conditions, poor but dry. This kind of blue/grey light or (lilac grey light) is most common over the island. Again this is not the Big Nikon, it's my tiny point and shoot straightforward olympus. No whistles no bells, no groovy lens, tilt screen or light meters. Not even it's tiny zoom on. No need, right on top of the subject, cloudy setting point shoot away we go. Cameras don't take images, photographers do. Cameras just enhance what you compose. Go on have a go. Don't be so serious just have fun with the camera.


It seems there are problems with blogger, mr linky and of course our own server on the island. Posts maybe scheduled for a while. Slowly catching up with the emails. I couldn't open any for 5 days and a lot of sites/ blogs I am having difficulty accessing. Had to download new software which I am trial running with fingers crossed. So far so good.


More Bridge shots from the series. Remember it's all just for fun.

Here
There
And Everywhere

40 comments:

Gaelyn said...

What an adorable little bridge. The tide is quite close.
Is it walking only?
I love your photo eye, no matter what camera.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

training the swans now are we?

wow I see you have 394 followers!

I'm finding on facebook and hotmail I can't send things using Firefox but can do it in IE7

things sent to try us - why am I awake at 1am

lovely bridge picture - here's to the next 89 to go.

Mobile Townboy said...

Love this one, Babooshka!!

That's quite a challenge you are participating in. At least it is not 100 consecutive days of shooting.

Wayne said...

Now do one at low tide Babs. I was startled at how close the bridge is to the water. If it were stormy at high tide would water wash over the bridge?

Anonymous said...

Hi B.

It's firefox hun that's the problem.
This is one cool bridge you have. One from the other side if I can choose?

Jim Klenke said...

It looks totally different.

Anonymous said...

what an interesting idea - love the reflection of course!

Brian Miller said...

Like the contrast between the rippled reflection and the hard lines of the bridge. great capture.

Tash said...

ahhhhh - a complete view in living color! The picture is formed in the mind now. The color scheme is so unusual & so lovely.

Jim said...

Isle of Man is sooooo pretty, you surely do find all the pretty places!
I'm here for WW but am running very late. I see you didn't participate this week. I am glad I came though to see your bridge picture. It needed words.
..

Lew said...

Very nice perspective - makes the bridge look longer than it really is. The swan also made a "special effect" in the reflection.

Olivier said...

superbe reflet, ce pont tout rouge est magnifique. Avec le reflet cela me fait penser a une tronçonneuse ;o)

superb reflection, this bridge is magnificent red. With the reflection that makes me think a chainsaw ;o)

magiceye said...

this is absolutely stunning!!

Poopsie aka Blue said...

Inadvertently, you've participated in my new weekly photo meme, as todays colour is red - LOL!
Great bridge shot, I do remember it.

Brett said...

What a challenge, good shot.

Saretta said...

Never noticed it was RED...

Dragonstar said...

Oh I love this! Reflections, ripples, bright colour - perfect!

Anonymous said...

Lovely - and you're right, I hadn't twigged how small it was before.

Sorry to hear about the technical gremlins, hope they're sorted soon.

Anonymous said...

11 shots of the same subject, now that is a challenge. I like the reflections

Pat said...

What a CUTE little bridge...love the red.

Small City Scenes said...

Great shot. Love the color. Red--yes. MB

Tanya Breese said...

What a great bridge. It almost looks like something from an amusement park, the colors of it. Great reflection of it as well :)

coolgirlsar said...

Cool shot and I love those ripples! You're making we want to come and visit the Isle of Man with all these wonderful photos of yours.

Profile Not Available said...

I don't ever tire of this bridge! You always find a new way to shoot it!

Anonymous said...

I have never really thought much about the bridge until now. I cross it every day and now I see it in a new light. Thank you.

angela said...

Nice to see it in colour and at full tide.
Good luck with your challenge..

NYD said...

100 shots of the same subject!?!

That is a whole lot to ask for.

Nevertheless, the bridge still looks good!

thepowerguides said...

i remember the bridge from a few years ago big project to take 100 photos of the same object

love the isle of man so pop in from time to time when your photographs bring back fond memories

steve

Jilly said...

Love the shot. The reflection is so interesting, muddled as it is by the movement in the water. Fascinating.

Unknown said...

All that red contrasting with the still 'black' water makes a great composition! I love it.

marley said...

I was wondering about the bridge but hadn't got to emailing stage yet! Another great view, are you secretly looking forward to the 100th photo?!

Pearl Maple said...

followed your link for sky watch friday and that sun flare photo is cool but sure like this photo of the bridge too!

Max-e said...

I like your photo and your concept sounds like a lot of fun. I have the concentration span of a gnat so may run out of steam after a few photos.

Maria Verivaki said...

so we're up to 11; only 89 to go...

Webradio said...

Great reflect !
Beautiful shot...

Anonymous said...

The bridge shots are great! 100 shots seems like a lot until you start snapping, especially if you have a good subject.

Ken Mac said...

this bridge is so comforting.

GrandAnglais said...

I love bridges like this, there are so many possibilities, different angles etc. Shame there aren't many interesting bridges in Brum, given the lack of expansive waterways. There was a great one over the Queensway with a spiral staircase, overlooking the old ATV building. But I think they may have knocked it down now.
Take your point about cameras but I'm already becoming very frustrated with my Canon Ixus, I'm desperate to upgrade to an SLR camera. In the meantime I'm enjoying learning from the pros like you!

Chuck Pefley said...

I can see your fascination with this structure. I assume the trellis like affairs sticking up are to discourage humans from walking up the edges of the bridge? Love the color of the bridge!

Becky said...

Wow, it is smaller than I thought. And I agree - the reflection is made interesting with the ripples.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin