Saturday, November 08, 2008

MOORAGH PARK





Mooragh Park, Ramsey, Isle Of Man


Yesterday I posted a series of very precise firework shots from Mooragh Park. Today a very different style of shot looking in the opposite direction. Every so often I leave the mighty Nikon at home and take out the tiny point and shoot no frill Olympus and post a few shots. I always say it is the photographer and not the camera that is most important. Even yesterday's images, although on the better camera, I still had to compose, fame and time - without a tripod. What of today's image?

The Olympus is a great little pocket camera to use when it's raining or a lot of moisture in the air.
Under these conditions and poor light you can often, if you use the right subject, and compose before you shoot, obtain an image that could be from another era. The sky was so pale grey that it becomes almost white in monchrome as does the foreground foliage already in shadow, becomes silhouetted. The rain, so fine, is picked up on a point and shoot as a misty layer, giving the background a nice hazy feel across North Barrule Mountain and Albert Tower. Note that Albert Tower, that's the centre focal point, what looks like a line, a chimney stack in the distance is actually emphasised and sharper in the reflected glass like image.

Two posts, same place, different cameras, weather conditions, hour, and subject, same photographer. Note the common link. The daily photo is not about photography, it is about the place we post from. Most people who participate are not photographers like myself and have either a point an shoot or camera phone and little time. Let's just remember that when we stop by a daily photo. Think before you judge, read the text and digest, think before you post a comment or are about to skip posting a comment, because the image isn't incredible fireworks. I guarantee you if you go to even one different blog today and look at it carefully you will understand what I mean and make someone happier for a a few pleasant words.

27 comments:

it's me,YOUVAN said...

nice pictures....how to make it like this....its smart....!!!

Marie-Noyale said...

Your comment is so nice...
How true this is,the pleasure to find a small comment on a picture you chose between others to post..
Not everybody can reach high level of photography like you do,but diversity can be great help for creativity.
Have a good WE

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts on photography. I am finding that most people err on the side of too much kindness, you might say. The visitors to photo blogs seem to be extraordinarily kind, and positive, and gracious, admiring much, criticizing little. Perhaps because most have their own blogs and know how much praise is appreciated.

Thanks for YOUR kind words, and for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

I guess some people can be a little mean to others. I like this photo for what you say is a dinky camera, like mine. That's encouraging.

Cloudia said...

Excellent post! Your generosity to those of us who are not professional photogs marks a true artist! My blog's photos occasionally prove your remark about it being the eye, not the instrument. I have a very affordible samsung digital which pleases me enormously for doing all I ask. I liked it so much I bought one of their TVs. You are more than an excelllent artist, you seem to posess what we call, ALOHA! Blessings from Waikiki-

Anonymous said...

I could have done with your help on our guyfawkes night!! I have a new nikkon and for the life of me couldn't get good shots. I know its the user...but I don't know what I was doing wrong. I will find an online tutorial I think....

Virginia said...

B. You're right on. We all should support each other and give thoughtful comments. Those are the kind that help me become a better photographer! you are such a mentor to many of us. Bless you for taking the time when I know your "real job" demands so much of you.
V

Chuck Pefley said...

And a good reminder in today's post for each of us. Well spoken! Frankly, it's ever so nice to be able to always have a camera of some sort in my pocket. I'm very glad our digital technology has progressed to the point of small capable cameras.

Somehow I missed Guido's night :) Actually, I never heard Guy referred to as Guido, but do take your word for the Italian nod.

Sally said...

How incredibly true And you are always a positive commenter. I saw a comment once on what is a FABULOUS blog from a dear person in a far-away country which experiences many day to day difficulties that made me want to scream. It was so cruel and demeaning. And everytime i read that blog I learn something new and refreshing that enlightens and helps you hold out hope for the common bonds of humanity.

Thankyou (and also for the birthday wishes and regular visits!)

Sally

magiceye said...

lovely shades...

thoughtful text..

Anonymous said...

Hi there how are you? I was looking through your blog and found it interesting and wanted to leave you a comment.

I have an ivitation for you to come and visit my art blog here in San Diego, and comment if you will.

I think that you may enjoy the various labels and music videos I design for my art blog, hope to see you here soon and take care :)

Anonymous said...

You caught a great range of tones there - illustrates your point well.

Unknown said...

Beautiful b&w! I like the different visible flows on the water surface.

Anonymous said...

Nicely said. Interesting photo looks really old.

Ham said...

Well said. I was explaining LDP to someone earlier today and told them London comes first: sometimes a photo is interesting, sometimes it's a good picture and sometimes it's both together if I'm lucky.

And its nice to see you've made it onto the Google "Blogs of Note", congratulations.

laxeylass said...

Spooky photo. I like it all words and photos. Keep it up.

Tanya Breese said...

It looks like it's resting after all the festive fireworks of the week....lovely shot Babooshka, of course! Have a great weekend :)

Webradio said...

Your comment is very nice...
And Your photo is very spooky...

See You later.

Anonymous said...

that photo is amazing. in a sense that it is explaining itself, louder than words. nice thoughts as well.
great blog you have here. keep it up!

Cath said...

Amazing photo and very true words. A lovely post.

Anonymous said...

I like to see all bits of Ramsey, even the rubbish bits. This is soooo not rubbish.

Dragonstar said...

I love this moody photo. It's a timely reminder that we shouldn't worry about perfect light and perfect weather - or perfect equipment.

Becky said...

"The daily photo is not about photography, it is about the place we post from."

Amen!!! Thank you so much for this post. Sometimes we lose sight of what people are posting for, and what we're a part of this group for: Exploration of another's world. Enjoyment of seeing new places. Education of places we may never visit.

Thanks for also making me feel a little better about my own amateur shots. :o)

Eki said...

The tonal richness of this photo is very striking, Babooshka. It's a feast to the eye.

Anonymous said...

Great Great Great Sky Watch Friday Fireworks Shots!!! Extraordinary Idea!!!

Ben Nakagawa said...

"I always say it is the photographer and not the camera that is most important." Totally agree with you. Fantastic image. I also kept my Canon G3 and use it with little frustration of shutter lag.

Anonymous said...

That piece is slightly morbid, I could write a poem about it I am sure. There could be a thousand stories to tell from that one photo alone: lovers who met at that park on the brink of breaking up, recent mid-life widow who has to start life over in remembrance of their favorite spot, someone recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. I know they all sound very morbid but I could write from this photo, it moves me!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin