Saturday, November 01, 2008

HOP TU NAA OR HALLOWEEN 2

Due to a techincal hitch cdp, theme day books could not be posted. By the way that is not Norman Bates house from Psycho, but flats on Mooragh Promenade. Instead I follow on from Skywatch and the difference between Halloween and the Isle Of Man celebration of "Hop Tu Naa." Since yesterday's post I have found that "trick or treat" far from being an American idea may indeeed have it's origins in Hop Tu Naa. In older times children would have brought the stumps of turnips(not pumpkins) with them and batter the doors of those who refused to give them any money! So is the Isle of Man to blame for introducing the more sedate" trick or treat" to the world afterall?

Like to learn "The Hop Tu Naa" song. Manx Or English? Ok both

Hop-tu-Naa in Manx Hop-tu-Naa in English
Shoh shenn oie Houiney; Hop-tu-naa This is old Hollantide night; Hop-tu-naa
T'an eayst soilshean; Trol-la-laa. The moon shines bright; Trol-la-laa.
Kellagh ny kiarkyn; Hop-tu-naa. Cock of the hens; Hop-tu-naa
Shibber ny gauin; Trol-la-laa. Supper of the heifer; Trol-la-laa.
'Cre'n gauin marr mayd ? Hop-tu-naa. Which heifer shall we kill? Hop-tu-naa
Yn gauin veg vreac. Trol-la-laa. The little speckled heifer. Trol-la-laa.
Yn chione kerroo, Hop-tu-naa. The fore-quarter, Hop-tu-naa
Ver mayd 'sy phot diu; Trol-la-laa. We'll put in the pot for you. Trol-la-laa.
Yn kerroo veg cooyl, Hop-tu-naa. The little hind quarter, Hop-tu-naa
Cur dooin, cur dooin. Trol-la-laa. Give to us, give to us. Trol-la-laa.
Hayst mee yn anvroie, Hop-tu-naa. I tasted the broth, Hop-tu-naa
Scoald mee my hengey, Trol-la-laa. I scalded my tongue, Trol-la-laa.
Ro'e mee gys y chibber, Hop-tu-naa. I ran to the well, Hop-tu-naa
As diu mee my haie, Trol-la-laa. And drank my fill; Trol-la-laa.
Er my raad thie, Hop-tu-naa. On my way back, Hop-tu-naa
Veeit mee kayt-vuitsh; Trol-la-laa. I met a witch cat; Trol-la-laa.
Va yn chayt-scryssey, Hop-tu-naa. The cat began to grin, Hop-tu-naa
As ren mee roie ersooyl. Trol-la-laa. And I am a slag away. Trol-la-laa.
Cre'n raad ren oo roie Hop-tu-naa. Where did you run to? Hop-tu-naa
Roie mee gys Albin. Trol-la-laa. I ran to Scotland. Trol-la-laa.
Cred v'ad jannoo ayns shen ? Hop-til-naa What were they doing there? Hop-til-naa
Fuinney bonnagyn as rostey sthalgyn. Trol-la-laa. Baking bannocks and roasting collops. Trol-la-laa.
Hop-tu-naa, Trol-la-laa. Hop-tu-naa, Trol-la-laa

(Loayrt)

My ta shiu goll dy chur red erbee dooin, cur dooin tappee eh,
Ny vees mayd ersooyl liorish soilshey yn cayst
Hop-tu-naa, Trol-la-laa.

(Spoken)

If you are going to give us anything, give it us soon,
Or we'll be away by the light of the moon.
Hop-tu-naa, Trol-la-laa.
Strange island isn't it? Well we do have three legs on our flag! Do you have any halloween songs or traditions, like burning the Wicker Man perhaps. No, that's back to us again.

52 comments:

Greg Dimitriadis said...

I love the picture, you can cut the desolation with a knife!

SandyCarlson said...

Happy Halloween! Thanks for the narrative with this wonderful picture. This holiday and its origins in your part of the world make my favorite time of the year.

Kate Blackhurst said...

I love the Isle of Man (my brother in law lives there) and your pictures are wonderful. Say hello to the fairies for me - I'm a long way from them here in New Zealand.

I've set up to follow your blog so I can see the pictures every day.

Happy Halloween!
Cheers
Kate

Mo said...

Great "spooky" shot.

Anonymous said...

Don't take a shower!

magiceye said...

sure looks eerie... beautifully composed and shot!!

Anonymous said...

LB,

Sure is spooky yah! Do you speak Manx?

gogouci said...

Great mood setting picture. Reminds me of a Hitchcock scene...I'm waiting to be attacked by birds or Norman Bates.

Anonymous said...

They may be flats but the building is just begging to star in a horror movie.. The photo is outstanding (as usual)! That's a great song, thank you for sharing it with us

Keith said...

This is a beautiful photo. Perfect mood for Halloween or Hop Tu Naa. Interesting information.

A Blog In The Rough said...

WOOO! Wonderful pic for today!

Shantaram said...

Babooshka,

Just read about this getting the 'Blogs of Note' nod.... that's great!! Haven't been too regular on the CDPs lately, but I'm glad I got to know about this before it was too late!

Many cheers and best wishes,
Shantaram

Lew said...

It is interesting how holidays have moved from country to country and how we have changed them to suit our purposes. Gorgeous skies in this and your SWF posts! The reflections in SWF are awesome. I started to do WF with other photos, but the this week our skies were just so blue, I had to use them.

chrome3d said...

You are sure it´s not the local Norman Bates resident?

Hop-tu-naa, tral-lal-laa...funny.

Petrea Burchard said...

Oh I know this holiday came from out your way, you'll get no argument from me. Thanks for sharing it with us! Great photo, as usual.

Gaelyn said...

I thought Halloween was a pagan celebration on the eve of All Saints Day to hide who you are from the devil.
Love the photo.
I really enjoy your blog and have been following for a while. Hope you don't mind that I added you to my favorites.
Happy Hop Tu Naa

Louis la Vache said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Happy Halloween to you!

Gemma Wiseman said...

That first shot is waiting for a mystery story to explode from deep inside! Love its eeriness!

And your Manx link with Halloween is incredible! I was fascinated by all the details!

Unknown said...

Happy Halloween !
Cheers,
Aditya

Pepe Alcaide said...

Happy Halloween! Gracias por tus visitas y comentarios.

tangas usadas said...

visita mi blog de tangas usadas besosssss 19 años carla http://usadastangas.blogspot.com/

Alex Mazilu said...

scary shot :D
excellent.

Anonymous said...

Frankly I am glad that holiday is over. Now we got election day to get through. Nice post.

I also forgot about theme day today so I just found some of the books I wrote and took a photo and published that. Too late to be included in the group but it worked for me. LOL

Jilly said...

Sorry you missed the Books theme but you made up for it with a superb image.

Dragonstar said...

That's an excellent, spooky photo!

Ilse said...

I like the way one can see through the windows.

Anonymous said...

Ha I knew there would be something special after that halloween brew last night.

Tanya Breese said...

This does look like it's straight out of a scary movie! Thanks for the translation too, I enjoyed it :)

Chuck Pefley said...

Posting to blogger can sometimes be very frustrating. Some days I can use Safari, but other time I have to switch to Firefox. Never know for sure which will do the trick. Happy theme day anyway!

Anonymous said...

Love the song TFx

Anonymous said...

Brilliant photo and so effective, and the narrative excellent as usual. First time I've seen all the words to Hop-Tu-Naa....Stocked up on treats for the kids but only had one caller a friends little girl who made a fantastic witch.

Marie-Noyale said...

I can mix this picture with the theme of the day...
A fantastic view from one of those windows..could be of a cosy wooden library...
Enjoy the We.
Too bad we don't have the sound on the blog..I would love to hear that "Hop Tu Naa" song with the accent...

Anonymous said...

That looks spookier than your Halloween picture - really really atmospheric!

Webradio said...

Very nice Babooshka !
Thank You for this lesson of vocabulary...

Unknown said...

Wonderful post. I've enjoyed my visit to your blog ... and will come back often. One of the joys of participating in the blogger world is learning about other areas and customs. Thank you for sharing your special with us.

BTW ... Congratulations on being "Blog of Note". It was well deserved!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Roan said...

Perfect Halloween shot. BJ

Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on your blogs of note! Nice photos btw but I don't know much about Isle Of Man. So this is great to learn more about through photos.

Thanks!

david mcmahon said...

Trying to perfect my rendition of the song!!!

Anonymous said...

Addamas family too. Cool and creepy.

Gerald (SK14) said...

when ah wer a lad ... it used to be known as "Mischief Night" -- last year we only two little girls (mother in tow behind) knocking on the door - this year we had two lots of about half a dozen kids (approx aged 5-15) all very nicely dressed up in costumes - gave first lot a few sweets we had knocking around (probably well past their sell-by date) and second lot I had to give them each an after-eight mint as that was the only thing suitable I had in stock.
This morning discovered that one of them had dropped his plastic sword on the driveway - I popped it by the hedge in case he comes back looking for it.

BarkerBitesBack said...

I know I have a vested interest in this, but I'm sure you'd all agree that Babooshka does a great job at publicising not only Ramsey but the the whole island as well? I think it would be nice if the people in positions of authority started recognising what she does for the place instead of sticking their fingers in their ears and pretending she doesn't exist. Not everything about the island is so great and those are my words not Babooshka's.

Mame said...

How come Halloween only comes once a year!? Great photo an fun lyric post - Thanks! Now, if I only knew someone who could sing...

Profile Not Available said...

Excellent informative post! Love the sort of silhouette of this shot!

GrandAnglais said...

Yes, it's sinister this pic, but brilliantly done, as ever.

Greyhound Girl said...

Marvelously spooky- love this!

Anonymous said...

I thought I had commented here - I'm addled, I think.
Great atmosphere and, of course, moody as only a B&W can be.

Life on an island is pretty moody and the smaller the island the worse it gets, Gary. I agree with what you say about B.

Kelly Jeanette Swift said...

Congrats on the blog of note status. Love those pics, very spooky. I wish I could hear this song you posted. The language looks beautiful.

Thérèse said...

A little bit intimidating to post here but I have been reading this blog for a while...
I loved reading about the difference between Hop Tu Naa and Halloween and read the song in English and part of it in Manx.

airplane5312 said...

Hehe, you pre-empted my first thought ... Norman Bates' house.

Missy and Jim said...

I'm of Manx heritage, but live in the USA. I enjoy your site! The pictures and stories are very entertaining!

Missy Maddrell

Missy and Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fiona said...

Its haunting and captivating, i would love it a a coffee table book. x

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin